SINCE 2005, WE HAVE LED THE EFFORT TO CREATE, ENHANCE, PRESERVE AND RIDE WHAT MIDDLE TENNESSEE HAS TO OFFER FOR THE OFF ROAD BICYCLE COMMUNITY. WE SEEK TO CONTINUE BUILDING MORE RELATIONSHIPS AND TRAIL SYSTEMS.
- Create an online place where all mountain bikers in the Middle TN area could unite and communicate.
- Enhance the ability of the mountain bike community to gain access to new trails.
- Provide a venue and knowledge about IMBA trail building standards to make sure the new trails we build are sustainable for years to come. Encourage volunteers to build and maintain awesome trails.
- Provide events at local mountain bike trails such as festivals, group rides, beginner clinics, and kids’ rides, etc.
- Provide a place for new riders to go for information about riding and local trails, as well as provide clinics and rides to help build skills.
- Ensure the future of mountain biking in Middle Tennessee with communication with city officials and landowners.
- Have FUN! Ride our mountain bikes!
IMBA-SORBA Middle TN Chapter came into being in Summer of 2005. Resources from the former Lock 4 Trailblazers along with stewards and equipment from the former Mountain Trails Mountain Bike Club transformed into our current chapter. Our chapter stewardship reaches throughout Middle TN and the nine trail systems we currently maintain. Percy Warner, Bells Bend, Cane Ridge, Lock 4, Montgomery Bell State Park, Long Hunter/Jones Mill Trail Trail, Shutes Branch, and Hamilton Creek Trail are all part of our local trail network. We have also partnered with the Columbia Bike Club to help out at the Chickasaw bike trail and include it on our trail conditions page.
- Flag and build new trails at Barfield Crescent in Rutherford County
- Flag and build new trails at Cedar Hill Park in Davidson County
- Approval for trails at Oakwood and Ravenwood Parks
- Supporting Outdoor Encounters to get funding and move forward on trail construction in Leipers Fork
- Acquire funding for Bellevue Pump Track Park by fundraising and grant writing
- Increase membership
- Hold weekly mountain bike rides - maybe Thursday nights partnering with bike shops and/or Saturday mornings
- National Public Lands Day - Saturday, September 30 - promotes both popular enjoyment and volunteer conservation of public lands - (no race conflicts, good trail work day)
- National Trails Day - Saturday June 3 National Trails Day - (Sweetwater omnium far away (Johnson City, looks like no conflicts, good trail work day))
- Hold 3 festivals at Hamilton Creek - races and food truck
- Hold beginner clinics/rides
- Purchase more tools
- Organize over XX trail work days
- Hold Middle TN’s Take A Kid Mountain Biking Day event at several trails
- Hold a class to provide training for National Mountain Bike Patrol
- Host one IMBA Trail Care Crew clinic and trail work
- Partner with NICA and youth programs
- Assigning trail bosses
What We've Achieved
- New website with updated trail conditions and transparency of SORBA’s mission and up to date event notification
- New Facebook page with up to date information about work days, races and events and quick responses to the community
- Hamilton Creek Time Trial races rejuvenating Hamilton Creek
- Bells Bend and Phase 2 of Cane Ridge completed for Metro’s approval to open funds for more Davidson County mountain bike sites
- Relations built with surrounding city officials and bike shops of discussions for trails in Murfreesboro, Leipers Fork, North and Central Nashville
- Over 2000 volunteer hours with 13 official workdays and 15 unofficial workdays plus supporting race promoters with additional trail volunteers
- Ale for the Trail SORBA fundraiser and community gathering and raffles
- Take a Kid Mountain Biking day in October
- Quarterly socials and meetings bringing the community together and newsletters
- Volunteers perks with free SORBA shirts for two or more trail work days
- SORBA membership increased over threefold!
- Percy Warner Park opens in October
- Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day
- Construction of Percy Warner
- Met with Metro Parks to discuss mountain biking trails at Percy Warner
- Took a crew of 13 army soldiers from Fr. Campbell out to Montgomery Bell for a group ride
- Ale for the Trail June 15th
- Percy Warner mountain bike trail discussions are started at the beginning of the year
- Cane Ridge Phase 1 approved for construction
- New website with support from local and Chattanooga chapter members.
- Dirt Sweat & Gears raised over $3000 for SORBA.
- Formal MOU or Annual Permit with Nashville/Davidson County Metro Parks entered.
- Metro Parks gave go-ahead for Cane Ridge Trail – Volunteers began design and layout stages in November.
- Chapter included in Metro Parks public meetings to enhance mountain bike venues in Davidson County for 2011.
- IMBA Trail Care Crew visit to Lock 4 rendered lakefront re-route in April.
- National Trails Day opened 1 additional mile to lakefront trail at Hamilton Creek.
- Weekly group rides held at Hamilton Creek.
- Nashville Metro Parks Board entered into formal relationship offering “Annual Permit” for 2010 with IMBA/SORBA Middle TN at December Park Board Meeting.
- New opportunities developed for trails in Rutherford and Williamson counties.
- Trailhead rework submitted and new kiosk designs for Hamilton Creek/Ned Shelton and Lakefront.
- Lock 4 trailhead enhancements designed and work began.
- Hosted 6th Annual Hamilton Creek Fat Tire Festival.
- Held Rumble at the Rock cross country race at Hamilton Creek.
- Hosted Full Moon Fandango in October pulled 40 plus night riders to Lock 4.
- Assisted with the reroute and reopening of Hamilton Creek City Park’s 11 miles of trail.
- Opened 3 more miles of trail at Long Hunter State Park.
- Continued our staple events: 3rd Annual Long Hunter Festival, 5th Annual Hamilton Creek Festival, 2nd Annual Take A Kid Mountain Biking Day, National Trails Day, National Public Lands Day.
- Sponsored at 5 major trail work days.
- Held a club meeting/social/ride per Quarter.
- Grew our list of sponsors to help provide the tools we needed to make these events even bigger and better.
- Opened 6 miles of new trail at Long Hunter State Park.
- Held 2 festivals at Long Hunter State Park and assisted with 2 at Hamilton Creek.
- Held three beginner clinics/rides.
- Awarded $5000 REI grant.
- Purchased customized tool trail, Bob Bike Trailers and specific trail tool inventory to outfit 40 trail volunteers.
- Organized over 50 trail work days, including two on National Trails Day and one for National Public Lands Day, and work days at Long Hunter State Park, Lock 4 City Park, Montgomery Bell State Park, Hamilton Creek City Park, & Fall Creek Falls.
- Held Middle TN’s 1st official Take A Kid Mountain Biking Day event.
- Held a class to provide training for National Mountain Bike Patrol.
- Held and assisted with weekly mountain bike rides.
- Hosted one IMBA Trail Care Crew clinic and trail work.
- Hosted a weekend at Long Hunter State Park.
- Created our website that includes information about mountain biking, local trails, our schedule of events.